Outline: The Education Apple - episode 11
“The show that discusses Apple ˜technology in the formal Classroom as well as in the classroom of our daily lives”
1. The Cast
- Barrett Mosbacker, Superintendent of Briarwood Christian School
- Bill Brazeal, Technical Architect, Technology Specialist and Principal - ezNet Solutions
2. Week in Review
- Favorite Superbowl commercial - YourBigIdea.Co (Godaddy.com)
- Game Over: Twitter Mentioned In 50% Of Super Bowl Commercials, Facebook Only 8%, Google+ Shut Out (Twitter was mentioned in 26 of 52 national TV commercials, Facebook 4)
- Apple TV Said to Start Carrying HBO App Later This Year
- Job Postings and Patent Acquisitions Hint at Potential Overhaul of iLife and iWork - Two new job listings for senior software engineers for the company's iLife team, with the descriptions emphasizing a desire to "re-imagine how user interfaces should be built and work"
- Wall Street Journal article entitled Brazil: The Social Media Capital of the Universe (last month mentioned it was Most active country on Facebook) - Sited for the growth there is an expanding middle class going online and a hyper-social culture (Facebook use 10.9 million unique visitors in 2010, 43.3 million in 2013, Average hours users spend on social networking sites per month 9.7 in Brazil, 5.5 Worldwide)
3. BCS Learning Unleashed Update
- Barrett - What’s new with the program?
- Feedback loop with students, teachers, parents
- Edmodo deployed
- “Refresh loop training”
- Apple arriving for more advanced training with our iSupport team, Challenged Based Learning all teachers
- Developing a Google Education Conference
4. Main Segment: 6th Annual 2012 Crunchies Awards (January 31, 2013) Voted on by Internet Community at large
- Best Education Startup (New for 2012)
- Codecademy - winner - Learn to code, design & ship web apps at the best beginner-focused software school in the world.
- Coursera - runner-up - Coursera, one of a growing set of edtech startups looking to combat the rising costs now endemic to higher education with smart, scalable, web-based solutions
- Edmodo - Edmodo provides teachers and students a secure place to connect and collaborate, share content and educational applications, and access homework, grades, class discussions and notifications. Our goal is to help educators harness the power of social media to customize the classroom for each and every learner.
- Khan Academy - They produce a collection of free online micro lectures on a variety of different subjects, including mathematics, history, computer science, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, and economics. Khan Academy also incorporates game mechanics into their system by awarding students with badges for reaching certain skill levels.
- Udacity - Udacity was founded by three roboticists who believed much of the educational value of their university classes could be offered online for very low cost.
A few weeks later, over 160,000 students in more than 190 countries enrolled in their first class, “Introduction to Artificial Intelligence.”
- Sexiest Enterprise Startup (New for 2012)
- Asana - Asana is a web application that keeps teams in sync - a single place for everyone to quickly capture, organize, track and communicate what they are working on. It was founded by Dustin Moskovitz, a co-founder of Facebook, and Justin Rosenstein, an alum of both Facebook and Google.
- Box – winner - Box provides more than 10 million users with secure cloud content management and collaboration. They say their platform “allows personal and commercial content to be accessible, sharable, and storable in any format from anywhere”.
- Cloudera – runner-up - Hadoop
- Plexxi - networking
- Zendesk - Zendesk provides an integrated on-demand helpdesk - customer support portal solution based on the latest Web 2.0 technologies and design philosophies.
- Best Overall Startup of 2012 ( 2011 winner: Dropbox )
- GitHub – winner - GitHub is a social network for programmers. Git is a distributed software management program created by Linus Torvalds, orginally for the Linux Kernel Development. Github allows you to take part in collaboration by forking projects, sending and pulling requests, and monitoring development.
- Instagram - Instagram is a free photo sharing application that allows users to take photos, apply a filter, and share it on the service or a variety of other social networking services, including Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Tumblr, Flickr, and Posterous.
- Palantir – runner-up - Builds software that allows organizations to make sense of massive amounts of disparate data. “Surfacing data not mining it”
- Square - Square is a revolutionary service that enables anyone to accept credit cards anywhere. Square offers an easy to use, free credit card reader that plugs into a phone or iPad.
5. Apps and Followings (please update your pics below when you have determined what you will
- Barrett -
- App pick (Brit+Co.) http://www.brit.co/
- Twitter pick (Steveology) Nearly 88K followers / Forbes Top 50 Social Media Influencer and communications strategist who helps tech companies increase targeted lead generation and customer retention.
- Bill -
- App pick ( )
- twitter pick ( @Techmeme ) The essential tech news of the moment. Technology's news site of record. Not for dummies.
6. Wrap up and closing remarks...
Don’t forget to follow us on the Internet
Bill: Twitter - @billbrazeal Web - billbrazeal.com
Barrett: Twitter - @BMosbacker
Blog: The Christian School Journal http://christianschooljournal.com/
Thanks for listening in, be sure to tell your friends, watch for our next episode coming in two weeks. So long for now.